Dartmoor Devon | Information Centres | North Dartmoor | South Dartmoor | West Dartmoor
Map of Area - Local Towns | Tavistock | Post Bridge | Okehampton | Widecombe | Buckfastleigh |
| Tavistock Abbey | History
Fair | Entertainment and
The Tavistock Pannier Market
Charter was granted in the year 1105 to the then local Abbey. The 1105
Royal Charter is still in operation and the Town Council are the current
The Charter gives the sole right to operate markets within 6 2/3rd miles of the Market site - this distance equates to the old measure of two leagues, being accepted as a reasonable distance to walk to market with one's stock and walk back after completion of the days trading.
The present Pannier Market was purpose-built in the 1850's by the beneficence of the 7th Duke of Bedford, the then holder of the Charter.
This necessitated an Act of Parliament. To erect the building it was necessary to re-route the River Tavy. Other buildings erected in the same programme were the Magistrates' Court, Police Station, Town Hall and a run of shops along Duke Street.
Today's Pannier Market is little changed from the original build, and is possibly the finest example in the South West of a traditional Pannier Market.
A market is held every day of the week except Sundays and Mondays.